848SF Had a problem, read the manual on stock settings
  • Register
  • Commander Forums

848SF Had a problem, read the manual on stock settings

Since ownership, I've noticed under heavy breaking the front tends to want to chatter/hop a bit more than comfortable. I resorted to reading the manual, where I found factory/average suspension settings for both 'normal' and 'sport' riding positions. The settings are generic, but seeming as this bike is new I figured I would check each and be sure.

Everything checked out except the front preload settings. I found from the factory the 22mm preload hex was 13.5 turns counter clockwise from stop, where the manual says it should only be 2 turns out. The manual says to set the adjustment first by turning the 22mm hex all the way clockwise till stop, and then adjusting the setting by number of turns counter clockwise.

So, should this setting be 13.5 turn out as it was set by the factory? Or should it be 2 turns out as suggested from the manual?

Here are the directions, word for word. The last sentence is - WORD FOR WORD. Lets try and translate this to proper descriptive english.

To change preload of the spring inside each fork leg, turn the hex. adjuster (2,fig.53) with a 22 mm hexagon wrench, starting from the folly open position (clockwise). From reference (A, fig. 53), every full turn clockwise corresponds to 1 mm of preload of the spring, up to a maximum of 15 mm, corresponding to 3 full turns.

If your going to adjust your suspension, teflon tape works wonders at keeping anodized aluminum parts from wearing against steel tools. Wrap the 22mm preload hex in about 3~5 wraps of teflon tape before adjusting to keep them parts shiny and new!

So have you rode it since the change or what did you decide to do?

4. Remove Advertisements
      DucatiFighter.com
      Advertisements

I actually prooved the manual wrong. The springs tighen (more preload) by turning the 22mm hex CLOCKWISE. I found that from the factory they were only clocked 2 turns from all the way out (Counter-clockwise) out of maximum 15 turns. I turned both to a total of 4 full clockwise turns each and chatter under hard breaking has almost disapeared. I may turn another 1~2 turns, but for now its absolutely better.

I thinking the bike may have been set up for a ~130lb rider. I weigh in at about 170.

I also found the rear's rebound settings totally inacurate from the manual's description. I could only turn the screw 1.5 turns and felt no clickin.

my torquey, nimble, beloved, goddamn Street Triple was stolen last week. I feel that in order to make things better inside me and with the universe I must take the opportunity to upgrade. Duc SF 848 please and thank you. I sat on one, saw every video ever made about them, read every review, tech spec and test result. In a week or so, when my insurance company and are convinced my Triumph is gone, I'll take one out for test ride and make the final call.

hi guys had my first outing on my 848 street fighter loved it but found it really soggy
      i understand the most of the owners manual but the preload confuses me , it states 23mm how do i measure it, is it the amount the shocks sink when I'm on the bike compered to the amount when the shocks are fully extended.

help folks

Webster - seems like you haven't adjusted your suspension sag since you bought the bike. Here is video on how to do that https://youtu.be/FjGgq1z9zbo
      You'll need friends to help you