Anyone ride the Tail of the Dragon?
  • Register
  • Commander Forums

Anyone ride the Tail of the Dragon?

Anyone have the chance to ride US129 "Tail of the Dragon"?

Senior Member NHfighterpilot1098s's Avatar
      I can't believe they even let semi's on this road. I can't even imagine the pucker factor as you come out of a corner and there is a semi coming the other way taking the whole road.

2012 Panigale 1199 "Annabella" Stock for the moment (Current)
      2010 Ducati 1098 Streetfighter S "Sophia" ,Termi carbons, ecu reflash, GRG shorty levers, PSR bar end mirrors, Rizoma pressure plate, R&G tail tidy (traded))

2010 Victory Cross Country (current)

It's not just the semis (though they have been banned from the road now). It's the rest of the idiots who think it's a racetrack, stunt course and drift avenue that really make it tough. The bozo factor on this road has gotten so high that the fun has been sucked right out of it for me. Having to stop every third corner to pull the idiot that wheelied past you on the last straight out of the woods gets old quick. Watching squids in t-shirts and shorts do burnouts on the hill in front of the Crossroads never had any appeal for me. And showing up on a week when the Porsche club or Miata club think they've "rented the track" will also take the fun right of the Dragon.

The problem here was illustrated to me some years ago at Road Atlanta. I was standing on pit wall, timing my endurance teammate, and a hot girl stood next to me at the fence with a stopwatch. She proceeded to tell me that this was her boyfriend's first time at the track, but that he held the "lap record" at Deal's Gap. There was just SO much wrong with that statement, I had to walk away.... By the way, he was turning well over 2:20's, while I was running 1:40's. The bike track record is somewhere in the mid 1:20's I think.
      Last edited by WERA689; 03-14-2012 at 11:01 AM.

4. Remove Advertisements
      DucatiFighter.com
      Advertisements

I have watched some of the other you tube videos of the dragon. It never fails to amaze me how more people aren't killed on this road. Not just the squids who are riding way above their skill level, at the wrong place (the street) but the other riders who are out just for a ride. Deals Gap "lap record" huh? I would have walked away too.

2010 Ducati 1098 Streetfighter S "Sophia" ,Termi carbons, ecu reflash, GRG shorty levers, PSR bar end mirrors, Rizoma pressure plate, R&G tail tidy (traded))

Yeah. Did you notice the camera bike in the first video used every inch of BOTH lanes, and still couldn't keep up with his riding buddies? He should've been a hood ornament!

How about the guy on a bike coming around a corner going the other way? How much fun do you think he will have? If you have to use both lanes like that it's time to slow down. Your riding way above your skill level or on the wrong kind of bike (usualy both). Not to mention the afforementioned possibility of becoming a hood ornament or killing yourself or someone else. I will admit that I ride at a brisk pace but i am sure not trying to set a lap record, but I do have 30 years of riding under my belt.

Nothing makes me shake my head in disbelief more than when I head to the coast and I get passed by "squids" going 100 mph, wearing shorts, tank top, ball cap, and flip flops. Some may get away with it...some won't. Hard way to learn.

You are 100% correct! I have 40 years of riding and 18 years of roadracing under my wheels. I still have respect for the road, the ride, and the others. Most of all, myself!

I've been there several times. While there are no doubt many dangers to consider it's still a road not to miss if you can make it.. The trick is to go mid week and hit it from 10:00am to noon. There's nobody there. The last time I was there was on a weekend and I was talking to some guys who had trailered in their sport bikes from Ohio. Can you say flat and straight roads? They were just getting suited up to ride for the first time when I left them. One of them died that day. Truly sad. Anybody can buy a sport bike but not all should.

Quote Originally Posted by L-twin! View Post
      I've been there several times. While there are no doubt many dangers to consider it's still a road not to miss if you can make it.. The trick is to go mid week and hit it from 10:00am to noon. There's nobody there. The last time I was there was on a weekend and I was talking to some guys who had trailered in their sport bikes from Ohio. Can you say flat and straight roads? They were just getting suited up to ride for the first time when I left them. One of them died that day. Truly sad. Anybody can buy a sport bike but not all should.
      I have several customers that travel from NH to ride the Dragon. They say it's worth the trip. They also speak even more highly of the Blue Ridge Parkway. Maybe this summer I can get down there and check them out. It's just about time to start making vacation plans. I ride a lot in Vermont which has some outstanding riding. It's lightly populated, has very little traffic, and the roads are excellent.

I have 12 years working in the Powersports industry and a lot of years riding. I could not agree more with your last sentence. It really is so true. The stories I could tell you. You would just spend all day shaking your head.

I've got over 30 years in the Powersports industry, and I know how right you are, NH! I've seen way too many brand new bikes come back with under 100 miles...totaled! The skill level that today's sportbikes demand of their riders is beyond many to handle, and sadly, most dealers don't emphasize that enough, hence the outrageous insurance rates on sportbikes these days.

Search tags for this page

dragon tail road, vermont

how hard is it really to ride the tail of the dragon

new hampshire dragons tail road

tail of the dragon new hampshire

tail of the dragon vermont

where can you purchase video of yourself riding tail of the dragon

youtube victory cross country riding the dragon tail

Click on a term to search our site for related topics.