Commander Forums

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: HID Install on 2012 SF 848

HID Install on 2012 SF 848

Hi,

I bought an HID kit from Ebay and it arrived today and I installed it after work. I got a late start so daylight was running out. I had to use flash for the photos and it killed the quality a bit. First, a slim ballast is required in my opinion. There is a shortage of space, but in the end I think my install went smoothly and everything was very clean.

The kit I purchased was a hi/lo kit where there is a motor that pulls the bulb back to engage high beam. I must say it works very well. I purchased a kit which did not require wiring directly to the battery. I bought this type on purpose since the battery is under the passenger seat and I didn't want to run the wires that far. I have no affiliation with the Ebay seller, I just bought it because the power comes straight from the H4 headlight plug and also the seller is a US seller with a 24 month warranty.

This is the kit I bought below and it ships from Chicago and not Asia.

35W Motorcycle BI-Xenon HID headlight Kit H4 Hi/Lo 6000K | eBay

Here is the kit layed out

To remove headlight, you just loosen two 10mm nuts. There is no need remove the nut completely, just loosen it and pull straight up on the headlight assembly. The 2 nuts are on the bottom and are silver. They are near the forks towards the bottom of the headlight. The top of the headlight just hooks into two holes. Sorry I didn't take any pictures. Also with the headlight removed, it is easy to adjust the throttle cables to reduce slack as well. There are 2 cables towards the right side of the steering stem and you just slide the rubber protectors down to access throttle cable adjustments.

Before going any further, plug everything up and test that the HID kit works. Make sure never to touch the stock or HID bulb with your fingers as the oil from our fingers will cause the bulbs to burn out faster.

If everything works, then start removing the air filter cover on the left side of the bike. There are 3 allen bolts to remove. Two small black screws towards the front of the bike and 1 silver larger allen bolt towards the rear of the plastic cover.

There is a second plastic covering after the exterior cover is removed. There are 2 larger silver allen screws to remove and the inner plastic case can be easily removed.

There is a rectangular box (Ignitor I assume) attached to one of the wires coming out of the ballast so it restricted the placement of the ballast. In order to mount the ballast above the air box, I had to route the ballast from the front above the radiator and slide it back onto the top of the airbox.

In the picture below, you can see the rectangle ignitor hanging there. Slide the ballast from this area back and onto the air box. I left the ignitor portion towards the front as I will be zip tying it so the ignitor is on top of the radiator (not touching the radiator).

Here is where I placed the ballast with strong 3m double sided tape. I purchased this double sided tape from Home Depot and it is meant to stick things to the exterior of homes. Very strong, but I also use zip ties to fasten the cables of the ballast to keep the ballast securely fastened. Notice on the far left of the picture there is a black plug and that is the power plug that supplies the ballast power.

After the ballast is secured with double sided tape, I used a flat screw driver and pressed down on the ballast more to ensure it was fully secured to the top of the air box. I then used zip ties to tie the cable of the ignitor to the frame on the right side of the bike and also zip tied the other end (where the HID plugs are) to the left side of the frame near the steering head to some factory wires that were there. The plug that powers the HID ballast was also on the left side routed alongside the HID bulb plugs.

Next we install the bulb. There is a plastic cover behind the bulb and you just turn it counterclockwise slightly and the plastic cover comes off. Pull the white headlight plug off/back and there are 2 small metal prongs that hold the bulb in place pointing downwards. Push towards the front of the bike and simultaneously slide both metal prongs towards the middle and the bulb will be able to be removed. Remember not to touch the stock bulb and do not touch the HID bulb either when installing.

I wanted to reuse the plastic cover so I had to drill/dremel a hole in the plastic cap. I drilled the hole on the bottom of the cap so the HID bulb wires can be routed through the cap and run straight down.

I realized that the stock white bulb plug cannot fit inside with the larger HID bulb so I had to depin the stock H4 plug with a small flat head screwdriver (think jeweler sized tool). I then depinned the HID ballast plugs also and connected the wires up and used electrical tape to ensure the wires are fully covered so nothing shorts. Please remember which color wires from the stock bulb connects with the correct corresponding colored wires of the HID kit.

For the stock bulb connecter, looking from the back where the wires stick out towards you, the White wire goes on top, the red wire on the left, and the gray on the right. For the kit that I bought the top color was green and goes with the white stock wire, The HID kit's brown wire goes with the stock red wire, and lastly the blue HID kit wire goes with the stock gray colored wire.

After all the wires are routed correctly and ran through the stock plastic cap that covers the bulb, use zip ties and clean up all the wires and re-install the headlight. Plug the power wires, the bulb connecters and the High beam connecter (small connecter). Please don't forget the 2 small 10mm nuts on the headlight that need to be tightened (I originally forgot, but luckily remembered before I went out for a test ride).

This is what the back of my headlight looks like with the cap on and with the wires running down.

The kit works great, flasher and hi beams work flawlessly. I can't stand not having HID on all my vehicles. I went for a test ride and I didn't need to adjust the beam height. I'm very pleased with this kit and at $42 shipped, well worth the price! Sorry for the terrible pictures, but it was dark and I just wanted to clean up and go for a ride

Sorry if this wasn't that helpful. I was frustrated trying to find a mounting place for the ballast so I wasn't as enthusiastic with photo taking. If anyone has any questions, please let me know.

Thanks

-Ray
    Last edited by SiRay6; 05-22-2012 at 12:32 AM.
    jb2008 likes this.

Looks good! Thanks for the write up.
    2012 Ducati StreetFighter 848 - Stealth (Current)
    2010 Ducati 848 - Stealth (Sold)
    2009 Ducati Monster 696 - White (Sold)

Quote Originally Posted by DarkOne View Post
    Looks good! Thanks for the write up.
    Thanks DarkOne! I wish I had taken more pictures, some of the parts sounded confusing based off what i wrote.

-Ray

That looks sweet and also not very complicated. HID Look sooo much better!
    I hate how new cars have HID headlights and standard fog lamps!

Enjoy the new lighted pathways!

Wow, awesome write up Ray! Thanks!!

Onthego: Yea with the wiring harness of the kit I purchased it was very straight forward, no need to wire anything directly to the battery. Just takes patience with placement of the ballast and keeping all the wires organized cleanly.

Ducatifighter: Thanks...I tried my best...more pictures would have helped though.

*Update with this kit - One thing I noticed, which is not a big deal, is that sometimes when I start my bike it takes a few seconds for the HID light to come one...if it doesn't come on, I just flash the high beam a few times and the light turns on. Not sure why, but I actually don't mind because if the HID bulb turns on immediately as the key is turned, I think it is harder to start the bike. HID's draw less current than halogen @ 35w versus 55w, but at start up, the ballast draws a bit more power.

So because the HID bulb doesn't start immediately when the key is turned on, it gives me time to start the bike without worrying about a hard start up. But I just have to make sure the lights are on, by flashing a few times if the bulb is not on.

Not a deal breaker, but I noticed sometimes the stock bulb doesn't always turn on either when I turn my key on. Is this normal? Does anyone experience this with stock bulbs? Turn the key and power everything on, but not start the bike...is the stock bulb on or off?

-Ray

Ray,

I don't have HID nor plan on putting in on my bike but you wrote an excellent how-to. Now, I'm off to stop my eyes from bleeding...
    2010 Streetfighter S; Termi's, Rizoma Bar-Lux Grip-Bar Clasp, CRG Mirrors, Performance Seat, Motivation Bar Ends

Thanks for the positive words jb008

Nice work SIRay6, this is going to help when I attempt to do it myself!

Quote Originally Posted by preppyjoel View Post
    Nice work SIRay6, this is going to help when I attempt to do it myself!
    Glad to hear...if you want more pictures on some of the areas where I didn't include pictures let me know. Are you getting a kit like the one I purchased or one that gets power directly from the battery?

I'm really pleased with my HID kit and it is working perfectly! The only thing is the 6k I bought looks more like an 8k...I wouldn't mind it being less blue and more white.

-Ray

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Search tags for this page

ducati 848 hid install
ducati streetfighter 848 hid

ducati streetfighter hid

ducati streetfighter hid install
hid on 848 streetfighter
recommended bulb type for ducati streetfighter

streetfighter 848 hid

Click on a term to search our site for related topics.